Saturday, November 16, 2013

Mobility Innovation - Debunked (halfbaked)

Innovation in Mobility 

First of all, mobile devices are simply a wireless version of a personal computer.  No cords connected beyond charging or synchronization.  

Imagine you are an average citizen and you are like more than half the world, you own a mobile device. 

To an average person, the screen is smaller and you are unlikely to expect any different behaviors than you have on your home computer. 

I expect the device is a personal asset and choice I make to use and control the use personally.  
  • A human right - Self determination
  • A personal responsibility - to ensure my device is not used for anything illegal or fraudulent.  
A person expects to use a social media application or platform stores like iTunes, Play Store and Microsoft stores as a feature or type of offer supplied by the media platform.  


However, the legal position from all these application platforms implies they are held harmless from any wrong doing based on their legal terms and conditions.  

These platforms enable anyone without regard for their intent and without monitoring of the behaviors showing up from the use of the software development features.  

If most game developers are located in Russia and we are at risk of war with the Russian government, how safe are our citizens?   

An application is used when I'm in Facebook, or a reasonable person accesses the application from their Facebook profile.  It is unreasonable to expect a person to search all stores to understand if the application is not just Facebook or a stand alone business.   

If you force me to become a member or registered user;
The fact we now have forced relationships with Google accounts on many cell phone plans, is not a release of my rights.  

  • a gmail address is required to use your new phone.  
The fact we have for some time forced the same on an Apple device is well known and with the Apple devices, we know we cannot download without our account details.  
  • I cannot download ala carte or if I can, I may not be aware of the ability.  
  • I expect my security settings to be consistent with the marked choices in Facebook
  • I don't read the terms and conditions as I'm not a lawyer and all the language is saying the same things differently.  
    • My privacy is protected
      • Yet, Facebook own anything I post in the application.
        • If private, then it implies I own.  
  • If my rights under laws where I live, as a citizen are not enforced I am not aware of the lawless behaviors of organizations or agencies and their employees.  

Wireless - Bring your own device 

I am not walking into any office therefore my device should not be searched or scanned or downloaded to any company network or stored on the business systems.  

If I use a wireless hotspot, I am not expecting to give up my rights to the provider of the hotspot.  

I am only expecting a loss of rights if I make a choice to access your network and its resources.  
  • Logging in is the normal behavior I perform and should be authenticated by my actions.     
  • When I specifically take an action on my device a physical process must be initiated or by my choice.  
    • Not an API in the background.  
  • I must physically type in the account access identifiable information
    • Not an image of my fingerprint collected by others, with or without my knowledge
  • An act performed by an API does not qualify as my physical behavior. 
    • I am not releasing nor accountable for behaviors beyond my control.    
  • Even if I learn to code, I am not going to search the way applications are coded.
Lets look at the device behaviors which mislead me in the case of mobile applications.  True beyond any single carrier and any single social media or other provider. 

Billing data plans - you are told you are using your data on certain days or with certain carriers.  
  • Carriers for mobile devices have a known overbilling rate at 30% error or over bill their users as high as 30% beyond the usage. 
We know about the existing messes and have made them wicked problems with messes and systems of messes.  

Running Applications in the Background

Step 1 Check that all applications are closed-the photo shows applications are in use despite the fact these are not showing in the device view. 

Step 2 Verify all applications are closed exit and re-enter application window

Step 3 Verify Running application settings from settings rather than expect the device to show an application if its running.  


The results are disturbing but consistent with the application "do not allow device to sleep" setting in each applications code (API).

Now, if I don't know the application is open.  It isn't showing on my phone screen.  Then I'm not responsible.  Or at least that would be how any reasonable person would see the situation.  
 
Wait! What does this notice suggest? An ethical hacker. Using a chrome style window that will be replaced with the factory version to hide the evidence of any violating my wireless device.



I am a WICKED Problem solver, other average users are not going to know about these anomalies.   

My expertise allows me to go from paper and pen into technology and reverse engineer the same from technology to bits and bytes in Big Data. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

User Centered Design Blog Statistics

1-62 of 62 A citizen is an individual in an agent role with a population Edit  |  Preview  |  De...